Monday, August 25, 2008

1st Ambulance Ride

Sat. night Dave & I went to a friend's wedding while Grandpa and Grandma Candi were at our house having a great time playing with the boys.

We got home about 10pm and both boys were sound asleep. I proceeded to bed only to wake up a couple hours later. Dave was trying to comfort Cameron as he was crying and wheezing and having a hard time breathing. I had a few drinks at the wedding and I just woke up from a sound sleep. I panicked and called 9-1-1.

The firemen got there and they immediately knew it was croup. So we went into the bathroom and turned on the shower (the steam helps clear the airway). He had just calmed down fallen back to sleep when the fireman came in and asked how he was doing which woke him up and got him upset again.

They suggested I take him to the hospital. However since I had a few drinks earlier I didn't feel comfortable driving so they called an ambulance and off to Children's Hospital we went.

Other than his barky cough, he was himself playing in the room, charming the nurses, and being way to active for 1:00 in the morning! We did get to see our friend Sue (she's a 3rd shift x-ray tech) and she brought Cameron a stuffed doggy which he immediately threw across the floor.

They (eventually) gave him some steroids and sent us on our way.

As a mother you ALWAYS have to be prepared for anything. Lesson learned.

No comments: